HAWAII EMERGENCY RADIO OPERATORS, Inc.
1. Organization. The name of this organization is the Hawaii Emergency Radio Operators, hereafter referred to as HERO. It is organized as a non-profit amateur radio club within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of The Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3)) and section 5 of part 97 of the FCC Regulations supporting The Communications Act of 1934 (47 C.F.R. 97.5(d)(2)). However, no filing before the Internal Revenue Service for non-profit status shall be necessary as long as the club does not maintain a treasury of its own.
2. Membership. Membership shall consist of six levels:
DIAMOND MEMBER: Diamond level membership is open to licensed Amateur Radio operators living in Hawaii who support the goals and mission of the club. Diamond membership includes all club privileges as well as right to hold a club office. Diamond members are full voting members.
PLATINUM MEMBER: Platinum level membership is open to All Licensed Amateur Radio Operators who support the goals and mission of the club without residence restrictions. Platinum membership includes all club privileges. Platinum level members are full voting members but can not hold club offices other than as elected Directors as they are not here to perform the duties of the office.
GOLD MEMBER: Gold level membership is open to all radio operators living in Hawaii and those actively engaged in a class leading to an Amateur Radio license. Gold membership includes all club privileges except for the right to hold office and cast a vote in elections. They are allowed to vote on other items. (This level includes CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc.)
SILVER MEMBER: Silver level membership is open to anyone who is not a radio operator living in Hawaii who supports the goals and mission of the club. Silver members are non-voting members and can not hold club office.
BRONZE MEMBER: Bronze level membership is a discounted membership open to any family member of a Diamond, Platinum or Gold member living in the same household. Bronze members are non-voting members and can not hold club office.
COPPER MEMBER: Copper level membership is open to anyone living outside of Hawaii who supports the goals and mission of the club. Copper members are non-voting members and can not hold club office.
Applications for membership shall be submitted at regular meetings of the Board of Directors to be voted on for acceptance.
3. Governing Board. The club shall be governed by a Board of Directors. This Board shall be comprised of the club officers who will hold the positions of Executive Directors, club's FCC callsign trustee, any and all equipment (repeater) trustees, and a sufficient number of elected Directors, of equal number or one less, but not less than 3, to maintain an odd count of directorships. Each position on the Board shall have one vote. Should a person hold more than one position, that person shall have that respective number of votes on the Board. A member cannot be elected to more than one position. The trusteeship positions are not elected positions. Each trustee may select his/her successor. However, with the acquisition of club-owned equipment, or should a trusteeship become vacant without a successor named, the Board may appoint any Diamond Member of the club to that trusteeship position. The term for an elected Director position on the Board shall be for 2 consecutive years and shall expire on December 31 of the second year. There are no term limits imposed on any elected position.
4. Election Procedure. Periodic elections of Directors shall take place at the General Membership Meeting in October, two months prior to the end of a term of office. Special Elections may be called by the Board to fill a position, if necessary, at any time to fill a vacancy on the Board. Only Voting Members of the club shall be eligible to vote in elections. Each eligible voting member shall be able to cast as many votes as there are elected positions to fill. Election to the Board of Directors shall occur for the candidate receiving the largest plurality of votes and continue to the next largest plurality until all positions are filled. Should there be a tie vote for any position where there are more candidates than elected positions remaining, the membership will vote again, considering only those candidates and with each member casting a number of votes equal to the number of positions remaining. Should there be an equal or lesser number of candidates seeking election to the Board of Directors, they shall be considered elected without an election having taken place.
5. Dues. The Board of Directors may set the necessary [annual] membership dues, which may not be increased by more than 25% of its current level without consent of two-thirds of the membership. The initial dues amount shall be zero, and any dues shall be collected in U.S. dollars.
6. Equipment and Property. Unless purchased with funds from the club's treasury, all equipment used by the club remains the property of the respective trustee. No rights shall affix to the equipment by virtue of its use by the club or its members nor shall the ownership rights of the trustee be diminished. All equipment purchased by the club itself, from its treasury, remain property of the club and likewise, no right of ownership attaches to such by the appointed trustee (or his successor).
7. Ratification. The constitution and bylaws are hereby ratified on 22 FEB 2022, with the initial directors of the club being:
Robert Anderson, WH6FQE, President, Director, Callsign Trustee and Repeater Trustee
Billy Guthrie, W6UNX, Vice President, Director